22-23 April 2023
Saturday - 9.30am to 5pm // Sunday - 9.30am to 4pm
A special new venue for our unique beekeeping course, developed and delivered by the Bees for Development team. We are thrilled to be collaborating with Wakelyns, one of the longest-established and most diverse agroforestry sites in the UK.
The Course is suitable for both beginners and experienced beekeepers. The focus is on honey bee biology and how you can create the conditions for bees to thrive. All the sessions are based on robust and up to date scientific evidence, alongside decades of experience keeping and observing bees with minimal stress and no chemical treatments. We present a range of beekeeping systems and help you choose the right one for you.
- Meet the bees - a hands-on look at honey bee colonies housed in different hives
- The natural life-cycle of honey bees - honey bee biology and ecology
- Being a beekeeper - what does keeping bees really mean?
- The relationship between bees and flowers - pollination, plants and biodiversity
- Keeping bees healthy - what to do and when to act
- Making and building low-cost hives - practical demonstration
- Warre's People's hive, horizontal top-bar hives, frame hives: we look at each and help you choose which system is best for you and for your bees
- Appreciating honey, beeswax and propolis
- Beekeeping and sustainability - what does the future hold?
Hot drinks and wholesome lunches are included in the course price, and so is a delicious dinner on the evening of the first day. All meals will be prepared by the Wakelyns Bakery, using organic produce from Wakelyns and produce from other local producers.
Wakelyns offer cosy and idyllic accommodation on site. Click here for more information, to check availability and for bookings.
Click here to view our cancellations policies
You should receive a Booking Confirmation email with further details about the Course within 1-2 working days of placing your booking. Please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org if you don't. You may also want to check your spam/junk folder.